Friday, September 27, 2013

Chapter 15

15 years ago

Deceit walked down the streets of the human world, late at night. He paused while passing an alleyway and looked down it. He stared for several minutes into the darkness before making another move. He reached into his suit and removed a cigar, which he raised at shoulder level into the alley.
"Mind lighting this?" he asked.
A small spark of fire shot through the darkness, igniting the tip of the cigar, which Deceit brought to his lips. He entered the alleyway, stopping in front of a man sitting down with his back against the wall, barely visible from a distance. He had long, greasy brom hair, and wore tattered, blood stained clothing. His right arm, covered in fresh wounds, was covering the right side of his face, which was bleeding profusely. His left eye let out a faint glow.
"You seem to have taken a beating," Deceit said casually.
The man moved his hand, revealing a long, vertical gash where his right eye should have been.
"I've had worse," he said calmly.
"Do I need to pouint out that you're missing an eye?" Deceit asked.
"Doesn't matter," he replied. "The one I have left is still locked on my goal."
"Still obsessed, I see," Deceit said.
"We all have our obsessions," he said. "They can be maddening, yet keep us sane, all at the same time."
"I heard a rumor," Deceit said.
"Of course you have," the man said. "It's always a rumor or two that bring you to me."
"Is it true that you're crafted a spell that can summon doors?" Deceit asked.
"It's not quite perfected yet," the man said, getting to his feet. "But I'm almost there."
"I have to ask you something, Magister," Deceit said.
"And what will it be this time, dear friend?" he asked, brushing hios bangs from in front of his good eye.
"In the neart future, I may need that spell of yours," Deceit said. "When that time comes, will you be willing to help me?"
"Perhaps," he said. "If the mood strikes me."




Present Day, in Netherworld


A man in a long brown cloak sat at his desk, which was cluttered with various items; playing cards, pencils, socks, dominos, and m,any other things. The man had his hood up, concealing most of his face, save for his bearded chin and mouth. The door opened, and another hooded man stepped through. He pulled his hood down, revealing a chiseled, clean shaven face and fiery red hair.
"Are you ther Gambler?" the newcomer asked.
"Aye, lad," the man at the desk said. "An' who might ye be?"
"My name is Brock Stevenson," he replied. "I've heard you are in search of a man, and I believe I have found his whereabouts."
A floating chessboard with elegant figures appeared between them. the Gambler moved one of the pawns on his side, and Brock followed by moving one opf his side's pawns.
"'Ave ye now?" the Gambler asked. "An' who might it be I'm looking for?"
"Magister," Brock said, barely above a whisper.
The continued playing their chess game as they talked, with the Gambler qui9ckly gaining an upper hand.
"Aye," the Gambler said. "And where might 'e be, then?"
"The information I have for you comes at a price," Brock said.
"An' what be the price?" the Gambler asked.
"You are owner of the territory in Netherworld known as the Board," Brock said. "I wish to enter said territory, without threat from your servents who reside there. In exchange, I will give you the location of the Magister."
Most of Brock's chess pieces had been taken at this point. The Gambler had only liost a few pawns and a bishop.
"Is that all, lad?" the Gambler asked.
"Yes," the man said.
"Very well," the Gambler said, moving one of his knights, placing Brock's king in checkmate. The chess board dissapeared, replaced by a green Joker card. "This'll allow ye safe entry into the Board," the Gambler said. "But first, where is 'e?"
"He is currently in Los Angeles," Brock said.
"Alright, then," the Gambler said, handing the card over. "But I warn ye', if the information ye provided be false, my servents will execute ye on sight."
"Fair enouigh," Brock said. "I should also warn you of something."
"Aye?" the Gambler asked.
"I'm am not the only one who knows this," he said.
"Who else then, lad?" the Gambler asked.
"A man with long hair," Brock said. "Carrying two swords. One of them is a katana wioth a black blade and a crimson handle. The other is a longsword of european design, which he never removes from its sheath."
"I shall keep an eye out for 'im," the Gambler said.
"One more thing," Brock said. "I hear tell that your former mistress is looking for you."
"Then it be me she shall find," the Gambler said, rising to his feet.


Meanwhile, in the human world


Omnpotence woke up with a jolt. She was laying in a bed in a small log cabin. Another bed was across the room, with Fade fast alseep in it. Kemuri Ha was sitting backwards in a chair a few feet away.
"Oh, good, you're up," he said. "Sorry the wife ain't here. She's having trouble finding a door."
"We were attacked," Omnipotence said.
"Yeah," he replied. "Don't you normally see these things coming?"
"My vision has been going cloudy," she said. "I believe it's Famine's doing."
"I don't recall him having that kind of power," Kemuri Ha said. "Unless he infected you with-"
"I wasn't infected," she interupted. "It's... something else. Something I can't quite explain. Anyway, how is Fade doing?"
"Old coot still hasn't woke up," he said.
"You're not that young any more either," Omnipotence pointed out, getting up and walking over to Fade's bed. "He should be fine. He just needs a little more rest."
"If you say so," Kemuri Ha said.


Later, in Conquest's residence


The Gambler walked through the door, into a dark foyer covered in spider webs.
"Where are ye?" he demanded.
Manny Kinn stepped out from behing the staircase, looking Gambler up and down.
"You should shave," she said.
"Ye should mind yer own beeswax," the Gambler said. "What do ye want?"
"I'm offering to form a temporary alliance," she said. "You see, a member of our group recently betrayed us. We need someone new at our side."
"I'm not interested," the Gambler said.
"You haven't even heard the details," she said.
"I don't care," he said.
"You should," said a new voice. Conquest stood at the top of the stairs, gazing down at the Gambler.
"Conquest," the Gambler said under his breath. "What do ye want?"
"I want my nephews and niece to be brought back here," Conquest said. "And your talents will help me to achieve just that."
"And why should I help ye with that?" the Gambler said.
"Well, you are after the Magister, yes?" Conquest asked.
"Aye," the Gambler replied.
"Yet he is in the human world," Conquest said. "And you lack the means to get there."
"And it just so happens," Krysix said, emerging from the shadows behind Conquest. "That I have a way."


Meanwhile, on the outskirts of the Board


Brock approached the great stome wall. He raised the card the Gambler had given him, and the stone split down the middle and slid apart, just enough for a man to fit through. Beyond, the ground was checkered black and white, and in the distance, chess piece shaped building were visible.
"Here it is, great fragment of Mimir," Brock said. "This is where we shall find you a suitable host."
As he spoke a voice withing his head hissed "Yessssssssss."


No comments:

Post a Comment