Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chapter 12

22 years ago

“So, are we clear on what needs to be done?” Omnipotence asked.
“Yeah, yeah,” Deceit said. “Wait for War and Rage to have kids, then keep an eye on them so that Conquest does't enlist them. Sounds easy enough.”
“But it won't be easy,” Omnipotence said. “Conquest is powerful enough on his own, but there's other Terrorspawn who are likely to take his side.”
“I like a challenge,” Deceit said.
“Still, it would be wise for you both to seek some assistance,” Omnipotence said.
“I can make some arrangements for that,” Silene said.
“And you, Deceit?” Omnipotence asked.
“I don't need help,” Deceit said. “But if you insist, Ice or Blaze might be interested.”
“And what about Kemuri Ha?” Omnipotence asked. “I don't think he'd want his wife allying herself with War.”
“Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't,” said a voice.
They all turned to see a man sitting at the top of a building looking down at them. He had tan skin, huge muscles, spiky red and gray hair, and black eyes. He didn't wear a shirt, and the symbols 封印 were branded into his chest. There a long chain wrapped several times around his waist and lower torso. A giant Claymore lay at his side, emitting a soft red light. Every time he exhaled, a cloud of red smoke blew from his mouth and nose.
“Well, hello there, Kemuri Ha,” Deceit said. “Hey Omnipotence, didn't you see him coming?”
“He must have teleported here,” Omnipotence said. “I couldn't see him in the area until a few seconds ago.”
“So in that case, you don't know what we're talking about, do you?”
“About War's plan to reproduce and keep the kids from Conquest, am I right?” Kemuri Ha asked.
“How'd you know?” Silene asked.
“None of your business how I know,” Kemuri Ha replied.
“So, are you against us?” Deceit asked.
“Nah,” Kemuri Ha said. “I don't like War much, but his kid might be a different story, so I'll let you guys do your thing and see where this goes. I'll go on and let Blaze know what's up.”
“Okay, then,” Deceit said. “You do that.”

Present Day

Hera opened her eyes and looked around.
“Ugh, what happened while I was out?” she asked.
“There was giant fight,” Zero said. “You were seriously wounded. It's a good thing David here had some Elixir.”
“What's Elixir?” Hera asked, sitting up.
“It's a substance with healing powers,” David said. He then turned to Deceit who was still lying on the ground. “You want some of this too? I've still got some left.”
“ Elixir doesn't work on Terrorspawn,” Deceit said.
“What the hell is that thing!?” Hera demanded.
“My name is Deceit,” he replied. “I was hired by War to keep you guys out of trouble. Now, if you'l excuse me, I have errands to run.”
Deceit got to his feet and started walking away.
“Hold on!” John said. “You're injured! Are you sure you should be moving around right now?”
“Ill be fine,” Deceit said.
“Wait a minute!” Kaiser said. “You're the clawed thing that interfered with that cult, right?”
“You mean the Cult Of Setriel?” Deceit asked. “Yeah, I've screwed with them some. Why do you ask?”
“They're the reason Kestrel is bound to me,” Kaiser said. “I want revenge on them for what they did to us. Can you help us?”
“Another time maybe,” Deceit said. “I've got more pressing matters to attend to right now.”
With that, Deceit sped off into the distance.
“Great,” John said. “Now what?”
A motorcycle pulled up out front, and an angry looking woman got off of it and stormed inside.
“DAMIEN!” she yelled. “What the fuck happened here!?”
She approached Damien's unconscious body and started shaking him violently.
“You'd better not be dead you stupid bastard!” She yelled.
Damien opened his eyes and looked at her.
“Sylvia?” he asked. “That you?”
She raised her hand and slapped him hard.
“Yes it's me, you dumb ass!” she yelled. “Where's that fucker Malkator!? Is this his fault!?”
“I'm right here!” Ben said, coming up from the basement. “This most definitely wasn't my fault.”
“Then would you mind explaining what happened!?” she snapped at him.
“Don't you take that tone with me!” Ben snapped back at here. “I already said, this isn't my fault! We were attacked!”
“By what, a fucking nuclear warhead!?” she demanded.
“No, they were monsters!” Ben said.
“Oh please!” she said. “You expect me to believe that!?”
“It's the truth,” John said.
“And who the hell are you people!?” she demanded.
“I'm... um... the son of the second Horseman of the Apocalypse...,” John said.
“You've gotta be fucking kidding me!” she yelled.
“I can prove it!” John said. “Watch.”
He tapped one of the opals on his belt, and his sword appeared in his hand.
“What... the hell!?” she said.
“It's complicated,” John said. “Some people came here to try and attack us, and we ended up having this huge fight.”
“So is any of this damage your fault?” she asked, glaring at him.
“Well... um... I guess... a little of it might be...,” John said nervously.
“Well, thanks a bunch, jackass,” she said, growling. “Thanks to you, we have to go stay at my dad's house until we can pay for repairs!”
“I'm sorry!” John said. “I didn't mean for any of this to happen.”
“Whatever!” she said. “I'm gonna go see there's anything here that wasn't damaged.”
Sylvia walked away angrily.
“That sister of yours scares me sometimes,” Hera said to Damien.
“I know,” Damien said. “You know, Ben, it might help if you didn't argue with her so much.”
“To hell with that bird!” Ben said, very Britishly. “She has no right to accuse me of this stuff!”
“So, what exactly is going here?” Hera asked. “You guys were looking for me, right?”
“Well, we sort of need your help,” John said. “We need to go to Netherworld and-”
“I'm in,” she said.
“Wait, what?” John asked. “You haven't even heard everything yet.”
“Don't care,” she said. “If it gives me a chance to get away from my lazy mom and alcoholic step dad, I'll go with you.”
“Okay, well, we have to go to Netherworld so that we can save my friend and resurect David's mom,” John said.
“Sure thing,” she said.
“If I might interject for a second,” Ben said, handing Hera a bouquet and a letter. “That guy dropped this off yesterday.”
“Oh, god, you mean Creepy-Stalker-Guy?” she asked.
“Yeah, him,” Ben said.

“Ugh, okay,” she said, taking the bouquet and stomping on it, then opening up the letter. She read it, then threw it on the ground. “I can't stand that guy!” she yelled.
“Who is he?” David asked.
“Some creep who's been sending me this kind of stuff for a while,” she said.
John picked up the letter and read it.
Dear Hera,
You look quite lovely today. Your cute goth clothes really bring out your eyes, and I like what you've done with your hair. I recommend adding some highlights. Oh, and tell Zero I said high. He/She doesn't look half bad in those robes.
Truly Yours,
S.S.
P.S. I hope you like the flowers. I grew them myself. Silver Ferripias with some red grigoris and blue and gold poliifs. You find those strains anywhere else on Earth.
“Wait a minute,” John said. “David, give me that note that lead us here.”
David pulled the note from his pocket and handed it over.
“I knew it!” John said. “The hand writing's the same! Whoever's been sending you stuff is the same person who told us to come here!”
“And he said those flowers can't be found anywhere else on Earth,” David said. “These must be Netherworld flowers.”
“So Creepy Stalker Guy is from this Netherworld place?” Hera asked.
“It seems so,” David said.
“Wait, look at this,” John said. “There's a return address here.”
“that's a first,” Hera said. “He usually doesn't leave those.”
“I think we should confront him,” David said. “He might be able to help us get to Netherworld.”
“And then I can kick his ass for harassing me!” Hera said.
“Can I come with you guys?” Damien asked.
“Why?” John asked.
“That guy... the one who looked like me,” Damien said. “I need to find out who he was. Also, I'd rather not move back in with my dad.”
“Why not?” Hera asked.
“He's a Devil worshiper,” Damien said. “I don't like to talk about it.”
“Well, I'm sorry, but we only have room for one more passenger,” David said.
“That's okay,” David said. “I can take my motorcycle.”
“Well, I guess that'll work out,” John said. “Let's go, then.”
“Sure thing,” Damien said.

Meanwhile, in an abandoned theater

“He... isn't... here!” Glasp yelled. “Damn it! There's a bunch of flower clippings and stuff, so he must have been here before, but he's gone! Where the hell is he!”

Meanwhile, in a dark room

A man sat alone in the room, his features obscured by the darkness.
“Hera, Hera, give me your answer, do,” he sang, heartily.
He was holding a pair of scissors in one hand and stroking a tall, flowered bush with the other. The bush was thorny  and grew strange, silver flowers, which seemed to glow enough so that they were visible, not not enough to cast light on the man's face.
“I'm half-crazy, all for the love of you,” he continued singing.
He raised the scissors, and cut off a couple flowers from the plant, and set them down on the table. He then turned to another plant, which was short and grew white flowers with black lines down the middle of the petals.
“It won't be a stylish marriage,” he sang.
He clipped three flowers from the plant and set them next to the silver ones.
“I can't afford a carriage,” he continued.
He turned his attention to a third plant. This one was gnarled  and quite a bit taller than him. He reached for a branch, and cut off a few flowers that seemed to shift constantly between purple, yellow, and gray.
“But you'l look sweet upon the seat,” he sang.
He reached for some tissue paper, and wrapped the flowers p into a colorful, yet strange bouquet.
“Of a bicycle built for two,” he finished, holding the bouquet to his chest.
He sat there in silence, listening for a while. Then, his mouth stretched into a smile, which surpassed the boundaries of his face.
“Feels like they're on their way,” he said, gleefully. “Come on over, Hera. I've been dying to meet you, my darling.”


No comments:

Post a Comment